California’s Fish Super Highway
The Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta is a vast maze of rivers, sloughs, and backwaters encompassing over 1,200 miles of shoreline. All of the Western slope rivers in California eventually flow from the Sierras, through the valley and eventually gather to form this huge estuary. This is the highway that all the anadromous fish use to enter our valley rivers, navigating their way through this estuary for their annual return to feeding and spawning grounds. These include Chinook “King” salmon, steelhead, striped bass, and shad. This is the species, along with resident large and smallmouth bass, that is the focus of most of our fishing charters.
“Our California Delta guides go the extra distance to insure your day was as successful as possible.”
When should I fish?
With temperatures warming and rivers producing higher flows, the spring migration of striped bass begins! March through May is the peak of the run, with fish moving through the California Delta and heading up the valley rivers—some becoming residents through the summer due to the cooler flows. This is also time for some of the best large and smallmouth fishing as they also spawn and feed heavily after the cold winter. If you’re looking for some seriously action-packed fly fishing, join us on a spring fishing trip to the California Delta!
From June through August, it’s primarily the resident bass that get most of the attention with some great top-water action on hand. Large numbers of smaller striped bass are still around with some larger ones in the mix. There is an overlap of spring fish moving out after the spawn, along with some that seem to stay in fresh water all year. This varies each season and at Fish Habit, our fishing guides are always up-to-date on local trends! Book your summer fishing trip today!
Fall run of striped bass fishing usually starts around the end of August with cooling water temps. The fish move in to feed heavily on the large schools of baitfish that have been growing all summer. The resident large and smallmouth bass are also fattening up to prepare for the colder winter temperatures. This period through December is the most consistent of the year. It’s not unusual to see schools of striped bass chasing bait to the surface where all you have to do is get your fly there and WHAM, you’re hooked up again! This is not a time to miss and must be booked early in order to assure first pick of best tides.
This is basically a continuation of the fall. Depending on water temperature and clarity, we’ve seen the good fishing continue nearly non-stop until spring. Some of the biggest fish of the year are often caught in December and January. Again, this is dependent on water temperature and visibility. Our expert fishing guides know what’s happening on a daily basis, so contact us today if you have questions.
Rates & Reservations
We offer several fishing trips on the California Delta.
Half Day Guided Fishing: $450.00
1-2 anglers, 4-5 hours on the water, beverage, snacks, equipment, terminal tackle and flies.
Full Day Guided Fishing: $550.00
1-2 anglers, 8-10 hours on the water, beverage, snacks, lunch, equipment, terminal tackle and flies.
Full Day Guided Drift Boat Trips
Full day guided boat trip(s) are designed for 1-2 people. A third person can be accommodated for an additional charge of $100.00. Your day on the water consists of 8 hours on the water. On typical days we cover 3-24 miles of water (depending on fish and time of year) and sometimes more.
Your Day Includes:
- Lunches, fruit, and beverages. Our lunches are always deli fresh, picked up the morning of your day by your guide. Lunch is based on clients’ dietary needs and any food allergies. Water is always available and is fully stocked on all boats.
- Rods, reels, lines and all terminal tackle, this includes flies, leaders, tippet and any other expendable amenities needed for the day. * Want to use your own gear? Please feel free to bring it along with you for the trip. Our guides will be happy to rig any rod that you might want to fish, if specialized for the particular fishing condition.
Half Day Guided Drift Boat Trips
Half day guided boat trips(s) are designed for 1-2 people. A third person can be accommodated for an additional charge of $100.00. Your day on the water consists of 4-5 hours on the water. On a typical day, we cover 2-15 miles of water (depending on fish and time of year) and sometime more.
Your Half Day Includes:
- Snacks, fruit, and beverages. These are based around clients dietary needs and any food allergies. Water is always available and is fully stocked on all boats.
- Rods, reels, lines and all terminal tackle, this includes flies, leaders, tippet and any other expendable amenities need for the day. * Want to use your own gear? Please feel free to bring it along with you for the trip. Our guides will be happy to rig any rod that you might want to fish, if specialized for the particular fishing condition.
What’s Not Included in My Guided Reservation
- Alcoholic Beverages: This includes undistilled fermented beverages such as beer, wine, and cider.
- Rain Gear: This includes all waterproof breathable rain gear; Rain oats, rain hats, ponchos, parkas, rain pants, rain boots, gaiters, umbrella, trap, goggles and stretch wrap.
- Articles of Clothing: This includes underwear, swimsuits, socks, rainwear, base layering, insulated overwear, windbreakers, fleece, gloves, buffs and any headwear of any kind.
- Waders and Boots: This includes all wader and boot types; Waders include rubber, canvas, neoprene and breathable. Boots include stocking foot and boot foot.
Need to make a hotel reservation?
We can help, ask us how. From start to finish, our fishing guides can take all the hassle out of planning your next guided fishing trip!
* A 50% deposit is due at the time of booking calendar date. You have the option to make full payment at this time. A valid credit card is required to confirm a reservation. Personal checks and major credit cards are all accepted as payment. Please make all checks payable to Fish Habit Outfitters. Final payments are due 30 days prior to scheduled trip date. All trips booked within 30 days of scheduled trip are due at time of making reservation.